The British & Foreign School Society (BFSS) is a grant giving organisation and offers funding for education projects in the UK and around the world.
The BFSS was founded in 1808 by Christian social reformers to carry on the work of Joseph Lancaster, a pioneer of school and teacher education. It was established formally as a charity by Royal Charter in 1906 (charity number 314286). Today the Society gives grants for education projects of around £1m each year in the UK and around the world, while celebrating its heritage.
For a statement of the Society’s Vision, Values and Mission please click here.
The Society’s Governing Body (its Board of Trustees) is known as the Council of the Society. The Society also has a President (Rt Hon David Lammy MP) and a Vice-President (Professor John Furlong). There are two subsidiary committees, the Investments Committee and the Grants Committee.
- Chair Mr Peter Miller. Background in educational services and assessment. Formerly of Pearson Education.
- Vice-Chair Professor Joy Palmer Cooper. Chair of Grants Committee. Background in education. Former Pro-Vice Chancellor of Durham University. Chair of Project Sri Lanka charity.
- Treasurer Mr David Baron FCA. Finance Professional with experience of education charity sector and Academy Trusts.
- Mr Vic Craggs, OBE. Long experience of charity work, international youth development and development education.
- Mrs Jane Creasy. Experience of educational and public sector leadership at local and national level. Former Operational Director at the National College for School Leadership and Headteacher.
- Mr David Crowther. Educational services background. Formerly of Pearson Education. Most recently Acting Director for the BFSS. History Vlogger.
- Mr Andy Gibbs. MA in Museum Studies. Associated with Hitchin British Schools Museum since 2010 in various capacities.
- Mrs Diana Hoy. Extensive experience as Governor/Trustee of several schools and various charitable organisations in the Saffron Walden area.
- Mrs Karen Hughes. Back ground in education. Former GCSE Mathematics Examiner. Formerly worked for Edexcel and Pearson.
- Mr Graham Kingsley. Background in education. Former Headteacher in Hertfordshire and former Chairman of the Association for Science Education. Trustee of STEMteam East.
- Mr Leslie Stephen. Background in education. Former Ofsted inspector and education director. Chair of The Breakthrough Trust (India).
- Mr Stephen Wordsworth CMG LVO. Executive Director of CARA, the Council for At-Risk Academics. Formerly British Ambassador, Belgrade.
Staff of the Society
- Director Mr Mark Leighton
- Finance Manager (CAN Finance) Mr Ryan Deith
- Administrator Mrs Belinda Lawrance
- Grants Manager Ms Felicia Willow
- AGM Minutes (2016)
- Annual Report and Accounts (2016)
- Annual Report & Accounts (2015)
- AGM Minutes (2015)
- Annual Report & Accounts (2014)
- General Meeting Minutes (2014)
- AGM Minutes (2014)
- Annual Report & Accounts (2013)
- AGM Minutes (2013)
Please note some downloadable documents on the BFSS website are in PDF format. If you are unable to view these PDF files they can be viewed by installing the free Adobe Reader.