The British & Foreign School Society (BFSS) is a grant giving organisation and offers funding for education projects in the UK and around the world.
The BFSS was founded in 1808 by Christian social reformers to carry on the work of Joseph Lancaster, a pioneer of school and teacher education. It was established formally as a charity by Royal Charter in 1906 (charity number 314286). Today the Society gives grants for education projects of around £1m each year in the UK and around the world, while celebrating its heritage.
For a statement of the Society’s Vision, Values and Mission please click here.
The Society’s Governing Body (its Board of Trustees) is known as the Council of the Society. The Society also has a President (Rt Hon David Lammy MP) and a Vice-President (Professor John Furlong). There are two subsidiary committees, the Investments Committee and the Grants Committee.
- Chair Mr Peter Miller. Background in ICT, educational services and assessment. Formerly of Hewlett Packard and Pearson Education.
- Vice-Chair Professor Joy Palmer Cooper. Chair of Grants Committee. Background in education. Former Pro-Vice Chancellor of Durham University. Chair of Project Sri Lanka charity.
- Treasurer Mr David Baron FCA. Finance professional with experience of education charity sector and Multi-Academy Trusts.
- Mr Tim Andrew. Educational background including: headship and head teacher representation; educational charity work; experience of overseas educational projects.
- Ms Charlotte Cashman. Experienced early years teacher, school governor, charity trustee and pioneering international teacher trainer in early literacy.
- Mr Vic Craggs, OBE. Long experience of charity work, international youth development and development education.
- Mrs Jane Creasy. Educational and public sector leadership at local and national level. Former Operations Director at the National College for School Leadership and Headteacher.
- Mrs Diana Hoy. Extensive experience as Governor/Trustee of several schools and various charitable organisations in the Saffron Walden area.
- Mrs Karen Hughes. Background in education. Former GCSE Mathematics examiner. Formerly worked for exam board Edexcel.
- Mr Graham Kingsley. Background in education. Former Headteacher in Hertfordshire and former Chairman of the Association for Science Education. Trustee of STEMteam East.
- Mr Leslie Stephen. Background in education. Former Ofsted inspector and education director. Chair of The Breakthrough Trust (India).
Staff of the Society
- Director Joanne Knight
- Finance Manager (CAN Finance) Kamrul Islam
- Administrator Belinda Lawrance
- Grants Manager Ashley Kuchanny
- Annual Report and Accounts (2018)
- Annual Report and Accounts (2017)
- Annual Report and Accounts (2016)
- Annual Report & Accounts (2015)
- Annual Report & Accounts (2014)
Please note some downloadable documents on the BFSS website are in PDF format. If you are unable to view these PDF files they can be viewed by installing the free Adobe Reader.